Sunday, May 27, 2012

Keep It Simple Apple Pie

So often we complicate things and in the process forget how good simple pleasures can be. This apple pie is just that, one of life's simple pleasures. There are no fancy ingredients, no complicated vanilla bean caramel rum sauce, just apples, sugar and cinnamon. But from humble beginnings something truly amazing is born. This is the apple pie of my childhood (literally, I grew up making this along side my mama) and it is still an absolute favorite of mine.



So in honor of Memorial Day (because what's more American than Apple Pie) here is without further adieu, Apple Pie with Dutch Crumb Topping- I would love to site a source for this recipe but it is unknown.



Apple Pie Filling
4-5 Granny Smith Apples
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 Teaspoons Cinnamon

Dutch Crumb Topping
3/4 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup of Butter (softened)

1 Pie Crust (I used frozen prepared crust because like I said I'm keeping it simple)

Preheat Oven to 450 degrees.



Peel, core and pare apples. Placing the already sliced apples in ice water while cutting up the remaining apples keeps them fresher.



Mix 1/2 Cup Sugar and 2 Teaspoons Cinnamon in a small dish. 



Drain apples and place in pie crust. Sprinkle sugar cinnamon mixture over the apples.The apples cook down significantly so I pile them in there, if you want a less full pie just use less apples. 



Mix remaining 3/4 Cup Sugar and 1 Cup Flour in large bowl. Cut in butter using a pastry blender (or in lieu of a pastry blender you can use a fork just make sure your butter is very soft).



Cover pie with crumb topping. 


Bake at 450 degrees for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 and cook an additional 40 minutes. I check it at about 20 minutes in to see if the crust edges are browning too much. If they are (and they always seem to be) I use aluminum foil to prevent further browning. 



Hope you all have an amazing Memorial Day! 

"Land of the free because of the brave" 

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your Apple Pie recipe at my Patriotic Link Party! This is one of my husband's favorite pies and I've never tried to make it. Now I have no excuse when it's so simple and easy to prepare! Thanks for sharing you family recipe Kate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is always amazing to me how people will think of apple pie as "nothing special" because so many people have only ever had store bought apple pie made with canned apples. I hope you get to make it for your husband and thanks for hosting the party!

      Delete
  2. Mmm your pie looks great, the topping looks wonderful! There's nothing like a good pie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The topping is my favorite part. I usually make a little extra because I'm prone to eating the uncooked topping while baking. :)

      Delete
  3. yum, it looks amazing and I love how full the pie is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We enjoyed it at our Memorial Day cookout! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing your yummy apple pie with us at Creative Mondays :) following back,looking forward to seeing some more of your lovely posts ...

    ReplyDelete