Friday, June 1, 2012

From Brassy to Classy

I love a good thrift store transformation. I usually have 5 or 6 things on a mental list that I'm on the lookout for- I rarely ever actually come home with something I was "looking" for.


For over a year I have had a BOLO out on a pair of lamps for our nightstands.


This was the lamp that was on MY nightstand. It had a mate on my husband's nightstand but I broke it. These lamps were a previous thrift store find that I transformed (they were pink ceramic) but they were clearly way too small (have I mentioned before that I am spatially challenged) so when it broke I was okay with it.



So, since that time I have searching for two matching lamps that were suitable for a makeover. I ever so briefly entertained the idea of buying new lamps (aghast!) but then I went to the store and looked at the new lamp price tag and suddenly my lonely too small lamp seemed like it would be just fine until I could find a pair of used lamps. Do you have any idea how hard it is to find a PAIR of used lamps? But today at Goodwill I saw them. They were brassy and dusty and dirty and I thought they might be too big but they worked and they were only $5.00 so they came home with me.



I cleaned them up, taped plastic bags around the electrical parts, and busted out Ol' Faithful, AKA Oil Rubbed Bronze.




I can tell you it pained me to spend $15.00 a piece on the lamp shades but then I saw this near replica to my lamps on the shelf next (photo from Target website) to the lamp shades and its $45.00 price tag (with no shade) and well $20.00 per lamp including the shade seemed like one heck of a deal.


Here is a close up of this lovely lady in her new home.



And the beautiful pair of them in our bedroom (and yes, I made the bed just for you all).

Linking up to:

4 comments:

  1. The after is so fabulous! I may have to check out some yard sales now!
    Kindest regards,
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am completely in love with them (just ask my hubby who has had to listen to me wax poetic about about perfect they are all day)!

      Delete
  2. Awesome lamps! Like you, I never come home with something that was on my list..but somehow always end up finding lots of things that WEREN'T on my list but that I decide I absolutely have to have :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you finding a pair of lamps and the make-over is terrific. I like the shape of yours better than Target's.

    Mickie

    ReplyDelete